Skip to main content
9:00 pm
[ bop ] [ bop ] [ bop ] you can do that all you want, i don't like v8 juice. [ male announcer ] how about v8 v-fusion. a full serving of vegetables, a full serving of fruit. but what you taste is the fruit. so even you... could've had a v8. but what you taste is the fruit. science and evidence based drug and alcohol treatment center. where your addiction stops and your new life begins. call now.
9:01 pm
>> the blade runner's big day in court. will he be a free man tomorrow?
9:02 pm
>> he is not a violent person. he is a peace maker. >> how strong is the case against oscar pistorius? i'll ask the man. plus, an exclusive and emotional interview for someone who knew reeva steenkamp better than most. >> we spoke intimately about all parts of her life. >> what her cousin says about the woman gunned down by pistorius. >> i believe reeva's life and her death is not in vain. also, a debate about guns and women. >> so, jill, if there's ever a problem, put that double barrel shotgun and fired two blasts outside the house. >> where do you draw the line of self-defense? and american tragedy. a close friend of nancy lanza opens up about her life of guns and her son, sandy hook killer adam lanza. this is piers morgan tonight. right now oscar pistorius is in a jail cell.
9:03 pm
this time tomorrow he could be a free man. all comes down to closing arguments. today from the chaotic courtroom the defense slammed the government's case and what experts call a key victory for the blade runner who is accused of intentionally killing reeva steenkamp, his model girlfriend. in a moment i'll talk to reeva's cousin, who is as close to her as a sister. cnn's robin in johannesburg with the latest on this sensational murder case. this case is now gripping the whole world, and it really comes down, i guess, to whether you believe oscar pistorius, with what appears to be a convoluted, implausible version of events. yet as we saw today when the police chief was cross-examined, his version of events began to unravel too. where are we left here, do you think? >> when we were listening in court this morning and we were listening to the state's case, you know, we were all thinking, oh, you know, that's it. it doesn't sound so good for oscar, and then after lunch it just -- the sentiment just absolutely switched when you started hearing the defense literally pick apart the state's case, so it has been quite a
9:04 pm
roller coaster day in terms of just trying to form an opinion based on the kind of information that we've all been getting. i mean, and how -- how implausible is oscar's story? well, on paper many people found a lot of holes, a lot of questions about it, but in a sort of quite dramatic statement, the chief prosecutor who is investigating this case, the investigator who works for the police, actually said that he found no inconsistencies in oscar pistorius's version of events, so, you know, it seems like in a way he is buying it as well. >> some of the stuff that's been leaked to the media has turned out to not be what we thought, and that's been part of oscar pistorius's problem, i think, in a way people have interpreted what may have happened. let's start with some of the facts. we were told from leaked information from the police that he had been found with steroids.
9:05 pm
then when asked what these steroids were, he downgraded it to testosterone, and the defense kept going at him, and eventually they said, look, it was a herbal remedy, perfectly legal. not a banned substance. the police chief seemed to squirm. he didn't seem to know what the hell it was. >> absolutely. i mean, it's a classic case. if you've got some crucial evidence, it's always good to perhaps double-check what it is, and it had a quite complicated pharmaceutical name on the box that started with testa-something, and the police chief just sort of assumed it was testosterone, but according to the defense, he said, you know, if you had just taken this to a pharmacy or chemist, they would have told you this was a herbal medicine. now, whether or not it is, i mean, this substance is still being tested, but, you know, the defense seems pretty sure that oscar pistorius certainly wasn't doping. >> we know that there were other evidence today. the body of reeva steenkamp didn't show any signs of a struggle. her bladder was empty, consistent with pistorius's
9:06 pm
account that she had gone to use the toilet. we're going to find out tomorrow whether oscar pistorius will get bail, but for now thank you very much indeed. we'll talk again tomorrow. joining me from capetown is kim martin, reeva's cousin. she also lived with reeva and said they were as close as sisters. welcome to you, kim martin. first of all, i'll extend to you my deepest condolences on the loss of your cousin. it is a harrowing story for anyone to digest, but for you and her family and friends i can only imagine the torment you've been going through. what kind of woman was reeva? i know that she was a law school graduate. she was obviously very bright. she was a model. she was a tv actress. she was a multi-facetted career that she was building for herself, but what kind of woman was she? >> reeva was -- she was exceptional. media what an mazing person she
9:07 pm
i mean, you've heard in the media what an mazing person she was, but she really was. from a young age there was something magical about her. she had this kind, nurturing soul, and doesn't matter if you were 20 years older than her or 20 years younger than her, you always felt like she was mothering you and looking after you. i mean, she continuously gave me advice for life, and if i had questions or was unsure, she would be advising me on what to do. and she did the same thing for my young children. there was something really, really special about reeva. >> how did you hear that she had died? >> that's very hard. my husband and i were driving to work in rush hour. we were stuck in traffic. i was tired. i hadn't slept much the night before, and i remember i was lying back on the car seat. i had rolled it down, and the --
9:08 pm
we were listening to the radio, and the dj came on and said he had breaking news, and he was taking long to get to the story. he was saying we can't confirm it, it's just come in, and they were going on and on, and i remember my husband said, oh, come on, well, what is it? spit it out. then the next moment i heard oscar pistorius, and i just jumped up, and i was, like, what the hell could be wrong with him? the next minute they say his girlfriend, and that was not -- the last thing i expected. the thought to me to this day is surreal. we turned around in this bumper to bumper traffic. we couldn't even get out. we turned around. we drove, and i just remember thinking the whole time that there's no way. this is not -- somebody is playing a joke, and they're going to -- the radio guy is going to come on and say that this is a big joke, and i just remember that we drove straight to my mother, and she opened the
9:09 pm
door, she was crying, and i realized, no, this is real. it's -- it's real, but it's not real. you know? yeah, reeva is not supposed to be dead. reeva had her whole life ahead of her. she was going to be doing great things. >> yesterday reeva was laid to rest with her family and friends gathered in port elizabeth for a private funeral. it must have been incredibly emotional there. how would you sum up the atmosphere given the appalling circumstances of her death? >> it was terrible. it was heart breaking. you know, you have to remind yourself the whole time that you were there because of reeva. you know, you wanted to -- i kept going in and out of forgetting that i was there for reeva, and you look up, and then you look around, and you see your uncle sitting there, and you look up and you see the photo of reeva, and then it was unbelievable.
9:10 pm
it really was. how do you -- how do you feel on a day like that? >> when did reeva tell you that she was dating oscar pistorius? >> i saw it in the news first, and that was about two months ago. when it first came out there was rumors. she attended the one function with him. i remember i sent her a message, and i said is it true, cuz? at the time she said no, but he is a very nice guy, and that's basically it. she never really spoke much to me about him other than that. >> do the family feel angry towards oscar pistorius? how would you describe the family reaction to him? >> um, i think the family are devastated. they are heartbroken.
9:11 pm
i think it's going to take a long time to even sink in what has happened. i just think they want reeva back. that's it. you know? they're not concentrating on how it happened. at the moment everybody is just in shock that reeva is not going to be back tomorrow. >> did any of the family express to you when you caught up with them or since reeva's death that they had any concerns prior to what happened about her relationship with oscar pistorius, any suggestion that it was a volatile relationship or anything about all of that? >> no, piers. you know, we were all in shock that reva died the way she did. for us, we're just coming to terms with the fact that she's not here.
9:12 pm
the fact that she died so horrifically is a shock to us understand. we can't understand why this happened to her. if you knew her, you'd understand why i'm telling you this. we can't understand that anybody could want to hurt her. where anyone would deliberately harm her, as you say. >> there appears to be nothing in her background which could explain a situation where anyone would deliberately harm her as you say. people are saying that oscar pistorius's version of events is implausible and convoluted, but there's an argument that it makes more sense that she may have mistaken reeva for an intruder, however crazy that may
9:13 pm
sound and that he was reacting to somebody he thought was invading his home. do you, or do you the family think that is a possibility? >> you know something, piers, that is what in my heart i hope and wish is the truth because i would not like to think that my cousin suffered. i don't want to think that she was scared or frightened or that she was fearful for her life. i don't want to think that. i just -- that is my wish that that is the truth, but at the end of the day we'll find out the truth, and i believe reeva's life and her death is not in vain. >> finally, how would you like reeva to be remembered? >> hmm. for her sense of humor, for her kindness, her magical presence.
9:14 pm
when she walked into a room, she made you feel special. she had this glow about her, and she was going to save the world. she loved everybody, and everybody loved her. you know, people were drawn to her beauty, but then her sense of humor would grab you, and her kindness and, you know, she became that beautiful, approachable girl next door that you could joke with, you know, and you were so proud of her. she never ever ever let her beauty interfere with anything she did. she never let it go to her head. >> kim, i'm, again, so sorry that this has happened to you and your family. it's heart breaking, to be honest with you, listening to you, and i share your view. i hope it turns out to have been a terrible accident, and at least that would be something i think that would be more bearable than the alternative,
9:15 pm
which is that she was murdered in cold blood and i'm sure that we'll find that out when it comes to a trial. but i really appreciate you joining me tonight. >> thank you very much. thank you for having me. >> when we come back, i'll talk to legal experts about this notorious case. that's coming up after the break. [ female announcer ] what if the next big thing, isn't a thing at all?
9:16 pm
it's lots of things. all waking up. connecting to the global phenomenon we call the internet of everything. ♪ it's going to be amazing. and exciting. and maybe, most remarkably, not that far away. we're going to wake the world up. and watch, with eyes wide, as it gets to work. cisco. tomorrow starts here. i took something for my sinuses, but i still have this cough.
9:17 pm
[ male announcer ] a lot of sinus products don't treat cough. they don't? [ male announcer ] nope, but alka seltzer plus severe sinus does it treats your worst sinus symptoms, plus that annoying cough. [ breathes deeply ] ♪ oh, what a relief it is! [ angry gibberish ] [ male announcer ] make your escape... twice as rewarding. earn double points or double miles on all your hotel stays through march thirty first. sign up now at hiltondouble.com. on all your hotel stays through march thirty first. [ female announcer ] some people like to pretend a flood could never happen to them. and that their homeowners insurance protects them. [ thunder crashes ] it doesn't. stop pretending. only flood insurance covers floods. ♪ visit floodsmart.gov/pretend to learn your risk.
9:18 pm
>> he's not a violent person. he is a peace maker. he has always been a peace maker, and that's his nature. he looks tough, and he looked like the superstar and held himself in public domain, but he is actually a very, very kind, soft person. >> defending the blade runner accused of murder. that's the uncle of oscar pistorius. prosecutors call it murder. the defense maintains pistorius thought he was shooting at an intruder. who do you believe? tom foreman goes inside the home for an exclusive look at both theories. >> you have to consider the layout of this apartment to understand the competing views of what happened here. this is oscar pistorius's view. he says he and his girlfriend were in bed when he got up in
9:19 pm
the middle of the morning, the early hours of darkness there, and went out to the balcony and close a window and bring in a fan. unbeknownst to him, she got up and went into the rest room. when he came back into the dark room, he says he heard a noise over here and feared a break-in. so he grabbed his pistol, he ran on into the bathroom here, began yelling out for the intruder to leave and to warn his girlfriend back in bed. then shot through the door. only after he came back and realized she was gone did he think, no, i must have shot her. he ran and grabbed a cricket bat to smash down the door and start yelling for help and to bring her back. that is his version of events. now think about where the evidence was. think about the layout of this apartment. listen to the prosecution's version because it is different. they're saying that essentially the evidence from neighbors hearing a fight and everything else as the prosecution would put it, suggests there was some kind of ongoing dispute for quite some period of time at which point she went into the
9:20 pm
restroom and locked herself in. he came around and used a cricket bat to either smash the door down to get at her or whatever the case may be, and ultimately pulled out his pistol and shot through the door in an attempt to kill her. that is essentially the difference between the two stories. there are a lot of details involved, but the bottom line, when you look at the evidence and the layout of the room, the prosecution says there's nothing in their version that directly contraverts pistorius's version. that's going to be the huge challenge as this goes to trial. >> tom, thank you very much. can pistorius prove it was an accident? joining me now is attorney adam dershowditz, and former prosecutor vinnie politan. and the hln host. welcome to you both. let me start with you if i can. i feel like the family of reef a i've watched her brother being
9:21 pm
spew interviewed tonight. i interviewed her cousin. my viewed has swayed over the last week. i interviewed oscar pistorius about two months ago. i find it almost impossible to believe that he could have premeditatedly planned and carried out the murder of this apparently intelligent, decent, nice woman from an intelligent, decent, nice family. where are you with this? >> well, obviously i don't know. until the forensic evidence comes in, i'm going to maintain an open mind, but i'll tell you what the question is not legally. the question legally is not what's the most likely explanation of this? if that were the question, we could have competing views, and we could say the most likely explanation is probably neither the government's, that is a carefully premeditated plot, nor the defendant's, a complete accident based on the mistaken belief that she was in the bed. maybe something in the middle. something impulsive, something unplanned.
9:22 pm
the prosecution may have overcharged. the defense may be overdefending. the thing that gives me some level of confidence that he may well be innocent is he has a very good lawyer, and his lawyer did something that no reasonable lawyer would ever do unless he was absolutely certain of his client's innocence. put his story in an affidavit because if there's anything in that affidavit that is contradicted by one single bit of forensic evidence, the case is over. so this lawyer, to get his client out on bail, which he might very well do, put his case forward in writing, and that's an extraordinarily risky tact but it may pay off. >> okay. vinnie, you think pistorius is guilty of murder. what evidently have you seen which can be backed up by any apparent fact which actually says he did murder her? >> well, let me start with the affidavit, and this is like a little inside dirty secret in the legal profession. what is an affidavit? what it is is a carefully crafted document written by an
9:23 pm
attorney, and if this is the best they can do in their version of what happened, it's virtually laughable when you break it down what he says actually happened here. it's preposterous the whole scenario, so let's break it down to just common sense. what do we know? he had a gun. we know she was shot to death. we know he did it. they admit that he shot her to death. now, why did he do it? do you have to prove a motive? not necessarily. premeditation, how much of a plan do you have to prove? premeditation can happen like this. from the time he grabs a gun to the time you decide to shoot and kill someone. it doesn't have to be a grandiose plot that he's been planning a long time. it can happen a lot quicker. when you look at what he alleges in this affidavit, which, remember, his attorney, his great attorney that he has, wrote all of this, and then he swore to it. if that's the best they can do, really?
9:24 pm
piers, really? >> well, i mean let me come back to adam. when i read that affidavit, i thought, however implausible it may seem to the outside world, to me, my gut feeling, and i might be completely wrong about this, but having interviewed him and gotten to know him a little bit, of the two versions -- of the state's version that somehow he premeditatedly murdered her or his brother elaborate version based on a fear, which we knew he had of being invaded in his home, that's why he had guns there. if you accept that he had that genuine paranoia, then how far-fetched is it that he woke up in the middle of the night, that he heard somebody in the bathroom, and that, you know, he was not on his blades, he was on his stumps we now know walking on the stumps in the middle of pitch black and that he panics
9:25 pm
and he shoots? i mean, is it completely -- >> was it dark enough for him not to be able to find the gun? he found the gun in the pitch dark. how could he not see his girlfriend in the pitch dark? that's what i don't understand. >> well, let me go to adam. i'll ask you again, how far-fetched is this, adam, from a legal perspective? >> well, the issue is not, again, what's the more likely explanation? the issue is whether or not he put forward an explanation that at least raises a reasonable doubt about the premeditated murder charge, and there's going to be a lot that will have to be validated. the angle from which the guns were shot is going to be very -- the gun was shot is going to be very, very important because you say he was wearing his prosthetics. we don't know that for sure. we don't know -- >> i think we were told -- no, i think to correct that. we've been told that he wasn't on the prosthetics. in his affidavit, he says that he was actually without them. the significance -- >> that's his claim. >> the government case is that the bullets were fired from an angle which would imply he was wearing them. >> but there's no videotape, and
9:26 pm
the judge -- remember, there's no jury here. there are judges. let me tell you about the judges in south africa. i know the judges in south africa. it's a very politically correct judiciary. it's not one of the finest judiciaries in the world. this is a post mandela judiciary, filled with people from the anc and supporters of the anc. this is a judiciary that will be very different from american juries, and they may very well be sympathetic to this defendant, and the issue for them is going to be not is his story more plausible than the prosecution's story, but is there any conceivable plausibility to it that is not undercut by the forensic evidence? look, if there's forensic evidence that undercuts the affidavit, then his lawyer made a terrible, terrible mistake. and sometimes clients put pressure on the lawyers saying,
9:27 pm
look, i want to get out on bail, i don't care what happens later. i want to get out on bail. this affidavit may have done that, and his brilliant cross-examination of the policemen both may have done that, but the long-term implication if there are any inconsistencies between what he said, may sink him. >> vinnie, very quickly, finally, just tell me the one thing that you have heard which you believe points to his guilt as a cold-blooded murderer? >> he shot first and asked questions later. we know that he shot and killed her. his explanation, unreasonable. >> but there are people all over america watching this o will say that that's the purpose of having the firearm at your home. you know? americans' second amendment right to defend himself. >> defend himself against someone that's locked in a toilet! that's ridiculous. >> he is going to put south
9:28 pm
africa on trial. he is going to say that if you knew how dangerous it was there and how many break-ins there were and me without legs to run away there but for the grace of god go you. put yourself in your situation. -- put yourself in my situation. i panicked. i was scared. i made a mistake. i'm sorry, but i didn't intend to kill her. that may very well -- >> i have to leave it there. the mere fact that two legal minds are so split about this is exactly how i think many, many people feel around the world. >> he's a lot smarter than i am. >> he's smarter than most of us. but it's a fascinating case and i think it will come down to new evidence and facts when we see them. thanks to both of you. thank you very much, indeed. >> coming up next, the life of sandy hook killer adam lanza and his mother, nancy. my emotional candid interview with nancy's good friend. tax refund time is here.
9:29 pm
i'm with malcom and kelly who are looking for a great new smartphone. you think you can find one at walmart? maybe. let's go see. alright. let him tell you about sprint. we've got the samsung galaxy s iii on the sprint 4g lte network for just $148! nice! wow. and -- you get a $50 gift card. awesome. we can split it. i don't think so. okay. [ earl ] see for yourself. get a $50 walmart gift card when you buy any samsung smartphone on the sprint 4g lte network. now through march 2nd. walmart. now through march 2nd. google's backyard for the wbing it on challenge.. [fight bell: ding, ding] what's your preferred search engine? search engine, uhh, probably google. if we do a side by side blind test comparison, and you end up choosing google, you get an xbox. i'll bet you the xbox, you bet me your son. well let's look up what you need. okay, i would do the left. yeah? what?! i am a daddy! bing wins it!
9:30 pm
bing won. bing did win. people prefer bing over google for the web's top searches. don't believe it? go to bingiton.com and see what you're missing. i've always had to keep my eye on her... but, i didn't always watch out for myself. with so much noise about health care... i tuned it all out. with unitedhealthcare, i get information that matters... my individual health profile. not random statistics. they even reward me for addressing my health risks. so i'm doing fine... but she's still going to give me a heart attack. we're more than 78,000 people looking out for more than 70 million americans. that's health in numbers. unitedhealthcare.
9:31 pm
9:32 pm
two months after the sandy hook massacre, and we still don't know why adam lanza did what he did. we don't know about the life he shared with his mother, nancy lanza. tonight we get some answers and they're revealing and surprising. joining me is nancy's good friend, john. welcome to you, mr. boquist. where were you when you heard the news about what adam lanza did at sandy hook school? >> i was at work. i heard the -- the, you know --
9:33 pm
the ongoing coverage all day long, but i was at work when i found out about adam lanza and, sadly, my friend, nancy, who i knew then who was no longer with us. >> what was your reaction? did you know adam lanza? had you seen him interact? we're getting a picture of somebody who was pretty disturbed whose mother was struggling to deal with really. was that your impression? >> i just -- you know, i knew she loved her son. she was devoted to him, and certainly that he was capable of doing anything like this was an absolute shock. i never would have believed it, and i believe that. she had no idea that something like this would have been possible. >> you knew her well. what kind of woman was nancy lanza?
9:34 pm
>> she was a wonderful friend. i looked forward to seeing her at the restaurant, and, you know, her smile lit up the room. she was a great friend to me. she was a terrific mother. she was a good person. she was involved in charity work at the women's shelter, and she made regular donations to the food bank -- monthly donations to the food bank. >> the obvious question, i as opposed to is, why would somebody like nancy lanza, given everything you have just said, why would she feel the need to have so many guns and high-powered weapons in her house? we believe at least five, including this bushmaster ar-15 rifle. why would she feel the need for all that? >> i don't know that it was she felt she needed them. it was one of her hobbies.
9:35 pm
it certainly wasn't her main hobby. she enjoyed shooting, and it was a sport that she did share with her two boys, and it's just an activity she enjoyed. she certainly -- one thing i would like to add is she was described as some sort of gun nut or survivalist, and that simply, you know -- it wasn't the case. it was a hobby. it wasn't her main one, but it was something that she enjoyed. >> if you have a son like adam lanza, as she did, who we know had serious problems interacting socially with almost anybody else. he spent huge amounts of time in his basement room playing violent video games. why would she take somebody like that to gun ranges and encourage him to use guns and what does that tell you, i guess, about the problems with dealing with mental health perhaps in
9:36 pm
relation to gun violence? >> well, as far as nancy goes, she was -- you know, she was trained in how to use a gun and in proper gun safety, and that's something she also instilled in her children. you know, as far as her son being violent, she never had any indication of that. she certainly at least never said that to me. you know, she never had any indication of violence. she never feared him. at the time it seemed like a perfectly -- i'm sure to her it seemed like a perfectly reasonable activity to do. in retrospect, he clearly had other plans. >> do you know if she was actively trying to get him any kind of treatment, because there are conflicting reports about
9:37 pm
that. >> i had heard this as well that she was trying to get conserve torship over him, maybe have him committed. i don't know. she never spoke of that to me. >> it's a sad story for so many people, and i feel sorry for you that you lost a friend. it wasn't nancy lanza that committed this atrocity. it was her son. he is also dead. 26 other people were killed. at least 20 children. it's an awful, awful story. i'm grateful to you, john, for joining me tonight and sharing some of your memories of nancy. thank you. >> thank you so much, piers. >> coming up next, vice president biden tells women to get shot guns for self-defense. is he right? ♪ don't you know that i love ya ♪ ♪ cha-cha-cha-cha-cha ♪ always thinking of ya ♪ all around the world ♪ everybody singin' along
9:38 pm
♪ singin' along ♪ fly me to the moon ♪ let me play among the stars ♪ let me see what spring -- ♪ [ birds chirping ] [ male announcer ] with the best lineup of vehicles ever, introducing the new chevrolet. ♪ oh, heavenly day why just go from "a" to "b" when imagination can take you everywhere? ♪ all the clouds blew away chevrolet. find new roads. if your a man with low testosterone, you should know that axiron is here. the only underarm treatment for low t. that's right, the one you apply to the underarm. axiron is not for use in women or anyone younger than 18. axiron can transfer to others through direct contact. women, especially those who are or who may become pregnant, and children should avoid contact where axiron is applied
9:39 pm
as unexpected signs of puberty in children or changes in body hair or increased acne in women may occur. report these signs and symptoms to your doctor if they occur. tell your doctor about all medical conditions and medications. do not use if you have prostate or breast cancer. serious side effects could include increased risk of prostate cancer; worsening prostate symptoms; decreased sperm count; ankle, feet, or body swelling; enlarged or painful breasts; problems breathing while sleeping; and blood clots in the legs. common side effects include skin redness or irritation where applied, increased red blood cell count, headache, diarrhea, vomiting, and increase in psa. see your doctor, and for a 30-day free trial, go to axiron.com. [ male announcer ] make your escape...
9:40 pm
twice as rewarding. earn double points or double miles on all your hotel stays through march thirty first. sign up now at hiltondouble.com.
9:41 pm
♪ >> i said, jill, if there's ever a problem, just walk out on the balcony here, put that doubl double-barrel shot gun and file two blasts outside the house. i promise you, whoever is coming in is not going to -- you don't need an ar-15. it's harder to aim. it's harder to use. and, in fact, you don't need 30 rounds to protect yourself.
9:42 pm
>> these are words of the vice president telling his wife to use a shotgun to scare away intruders. is that really the best way for women to be safe? we ask paxton quigley, author of "armed and female." and sandy phillips, the mother of jessica, who was killed in the aurora shooting. let me start with you. what was your reaction to what vice president biden had to say? >> well, i was rather shocked that he said such a thing because basically i've taught about 7,000 women how to shoot, and they prefer to use a handgun, and so do i because most women are really afraid about being home alone at night, sound asleep when someone breaks into the house and they're not ready to get a shotgun underneath their bed. they would like to have a smaller gun and be prepared to defend themselves. >> a particular point he was making by way of comparison was why would anyone need an ar-15, which was, of course, the weapon
9:43 pm
used at aurora and, again, at sandy hook, and, indeed, in most of the mass shootings in america. what would your response be to that? >> well, i agree with him that i think an ar-15 is not something that the normal, average citizen should have, and, indeed, he is right that if you had a shotgun and you pull the trigger, it's going to -- it's going to scare somebody. there's no doubt about that. >> sandy phillips, you're in a better position than most because of the appalling tragedy of losing your daughter at aurora. when you heard joe biden say what he said, what would you think of it? >> well, as you know, i am a gun owner, and i do own a shotgun, and i have to say that i agree with him. just the sound of a shotgun can deter a lot from happening to you. we do know that the more guns we have in this country, that's not
9:44 pm
the answer. it's important to have our background checks that we're pushing so hard for so that the wrong people can't get access to the guns. so i kind of agree with him. if you're going to own a weapon, that's a great weapon to own. >> part of the problem i have is, a, there's a massive increase of the number of women buying firearms. secondly, the way manufacturers are marketing them, i think, is -- it makes me uncomfortable. they're making them very commercially desirable, almost like a fashion accessory, and paxton, you know, i want to play your little clip here. this is a woman describing a special ladies' holster. >> the one that i have right here is actually meant to put into your bra. >> this one goes in your bra? >> this goes into your bra, so it fits underneath and hides right into your cup, and that is the flash bang. >> cnn's ed -- the flash bang,
9:45 pm
it goes in your bra and so on. this reminds me of an interview i did with a texas gun store owner who said to me that, you know, female teachers should have guns holstered in their bras too. and i find this whole kind of arguing really offensive. but paxton, what do you say to that? are you content that more and more women buy weapons through this kind of direct marketing like like the next chanel hand bag? >> no. as a matter of fact, that's not what happens. in most cases i would say that women go to a gun store and even before they go to a gun store they first learn how to shoot and they're not shooting pink guns, and they're not putting their guns in between their breasts. most of them, if they're carry, will be carrying in a purse and usually a special purse, or they might be carrying in their pockets. i think that it's overblown that women are going in this crazy direction, and i don't think is
9:46 pm
-- i don't think it's really true. i think they're marketing that way, but i don't think women are following in that way. >> well, i'm not convinced by that because the amount of ownership is rocketing with women in particular in america, and here's what i was always saying is this. is that the new england journal of medicine study found that female gun owners were twice as likely to be killed by a gun because women purchase handguns for protection against violence from an intimate partner and those guns are then used by the partners against them. it could be that by the mere fact that arming themselves in an apparent self-defense purpose they are increasing the risk of being shot. >> in most cases it's the man that has the gun rather than the women owning the gun. most of the women who are buying guns today are living alone. you see, the whole culture has changed right now. they're more and more women who are living alone or are heads of households or are traveling or
9:47 pm
have jobs in which they're traveling late at night. there are a lot of nurses, for example, who have guns, so just because there's a gun in the household doesn't mean that it's necessarily also a woman's gun. it could be the man's gun. there's a lot of statistics out there about the abuse of men against women rather than women against men. for example, you never hear about -- >> you never hear about women massacring hoards of people, do you? never. >> no. there's a point -- the point that i was making -- >> only men. >> i think you misheard me. the point i was making is that there's a higher likelihood of a man shooting a woman who has acquired a gun and put it at home to defend herself from a violent partner. that's the statistic that alarms me.
9:48 pm
final word to you, if i may, sandy. again, the solution to everything appears to be more guns. that more women should be armed, teachers, nurses, and so on and so on. i just don't agree with this. what do you say to people that believe that is the only solution? >> i don't agree that's the answer either, piers. seven months ago i lost my daughter in that theater along with other people that are great people that should still be here, and as you know, the young man that was with my daughter has a concealed carry weapon here in texas. of course, he didn't have it with him in colorado, and one of my first questions to him was if you had that gun, would you have been able to have helped, and he said no. it would have caused more chaos and more people would have been killed. more guns is not the answer. it's just simply not the answer. we need to be sure that we're getting these background checks. we need to be sure that we're getting laws in place to stop the loopholes so that people can't get their hands on the guns when they're not responsible gun owners.
9:49 pm
>> i agree with that. sandy, i have to cut you off, sadly. i'm sure we'll talk to you again. you always are a terrific guest on the show, and you speak eloquently, and i know why. thank you, too, paxton as well. i do appreciate it. thank you. >> thank you. we'll be right back. all right that's a fifth-floor problem... ok. not in my house! ha ha ha! ha ha ha! no no no! not today! ha ha ha! ha ha ha! jimmy how happy are folks who save hundreds of dollars switching to geico? happier than dikembe mutumbo blocking a shot. get happy. get geico. fifteen minutes could save you fifteen percent or more.
9:50 pm
can you start the day the way you want? can orencia help? could your "i want" become "i can"? talk to your doctor. orencia reduces many ra symptoms like pain, morning stiffness and progression of joint damage. it's helped new ra patients and those not helped enough by other treatments. do not take orencia with another biologic medicine for ra due to an increased risk of serious infection. serious side effects can occur including fatal infections. cases of lymphoma and lung cancer have been reported. tell your doctor if you are prone to or have any infection like an open sore or the flu or a history of copd, a chronic lung disease. orencia may worsen your copd. [ male announcer ] now learn about a program committed to you and copay assistance that can reduce monthly orencia out-of-pocket drug cost to $5. if you're not satisfied after 6 months, you get that money back. call 1-800-orencia.
9:51 pm
your doctor will say get smart about your weight. i tried weight loss plans... but their shakes aren't always made for people with diabetes. that's why there's glucerna hunger smart shakes. they have carb steady, with carbs that digest slowly to help minimize blood sugar spikes. and they have six grams of sugars. with fifteen grams of protein to help manage hunger... look who's getting smart about her weight. [ male announcer ] glucerna hunger smart. a smart way to help manage hunger and diabetes.
9:52 pm
email marketing from constant contact reaches people in a place they're checking every day -- their inbox. and it gives you the tools to create custom emails that drive business. it's just one of the ways constant contact can help you grow your small business. sign up for your free trial today at constantcontact.com/try. this is what it's like... paying full price for a hotel room. and this is what it's like getting a high-end hotel room for 45% off published prices... ... with travelocity's top secret hotels. ooo, tingly.
9:53 pm
i hope i'm not dropping by too late. >> i already heard. somebody from the state attorney's office called. we both have our contacts apparently. j.r., i don't know what you did and i don't want to know, but i am very grateful. >> darling, if i can still throw my weight around this town after all the crap i've pulled, then you'll bounce back just fine. >> and that's all you're getting. >> that's the gal i know. >> a tender moment between j.r. and sue ellen from "dallas." one of my all-time favorite moments. we sat down with larry hagman who passed away sadly last year at the age of 81. there's absolutely no one else quite like him on television.
9:54 pm
joining me now are two of his closest and dearest friends, patrick duffy and linda gray. welcome back to you both. i've got to say, i feel very tinged with sadness having you back on without larry. it was such a special day for me when all three of you were here last time. to lose him a few months later, was a real body blow to all his fans, but having understood from the pair of you, how close you all were, it must have been really difficult for you. patrick, how has it been, dealing with his loss? >> it's -- it's a mixed sort of bag of feelings because, you know, the three of us were the best of friends and the good news about that is, nothing was left unsaid between the three of us. we were with larry literally right until a couple of hours before he passed. so there's none of the, wish i could have said or wish i could have made him understand this. none of that is there. but it's the day to day experience of being able to be in his presence that leaves an empty spot that you can't fill up. you wish he was there.
9:55 pm
he was so much fun. he was the biggest person i know in terms of being able to include everyone in his life. those are the moments that will never come back and so i have to rely on the memories but the memories make me smile. >> linda, i want to play you a clip from our last interview and then come you to after this. >> i wouldn't be doing it without them. >> no. >> somebody approached me, would you like to do the show and i said, are my friends going to be on the show? and they said sure. and i said let's see a script. we talked about the script and we liked it very much. >> how do you feel, linda, when you see him talking like that? you knew him 30 years and was so, i guess, just completely positioned with him careerwise for so long because of that fabulous role that you had opposite him. how do you feel when you hear him talking? >> well, it's that wonderful bittersweet. i can hear him talking all the time. his presence is everywhere, piers. like patrick said, he's just part of us. he's part of the thread of our lives. we began together.
9:56 pm
we were known as the three musk tear -- musket ears. when cynthia and mike robin cast us, they called us the big three. so it's always been that dear constant friendship connection and he's always with us. he's always in our hearts and his humor. i just laugh about the things that we did together. it's like he's not here physically, but he's always with us. so that's the joy of having larry hagman as a friend for 35 years. >> patrick, you were all there with him right until the end and i heard that even right to the end he was cracking jokes and still the hilarious larry hagman that we knew him to be. tell me about those last few days because it sounded although obviously tragic that he was dying, at the same time, he had everyone that he loved and cared about around him. >> yes. and when he was still conscious and able to have a conversation with us, it was life as normal
9:57 pm
even though i think he knew even more than we did that it was a matter of days. but he was talking about what the future was going to be. that he was going to get this car and take it to los angeles but then the other side he would say, i don't have very long. we would say, oh, yes, you do. and he would say, no, but i'm okay with that. i took a lot of mushrooms in the '60s. he said, i've been to the other side. it's all good. i've been to the other side. he actually meant it. he really did feel that he was okay with that because it was not going to be that much different from what he was experiencing at the moment. but it's very interesting to see and hear clips of him because it reaffirms that, yeah, my memory is right. that's exactly how i remember him. that's how i remember his voice and it's the same reason i don't delete his voice mails out of my telephone now that are always going to be there. because i just can't -- i always want to be able to refer back to that and go, yep, that's the voice. that's my friend. >> yeah, i completely understand that. lovely to talk to both of you
9:58 pm
again. >> thank you, piers. >> bye. >> and we'll be right back. ♪ [ male announcer ] make your escape... twice as rewarding. earn double points or double miles on all your hotel stays through march thirty first. sign up now at hiltondouble.com. on all your hotel stays through march thirty first. morning, boys. so, i'm working on a cistern intake valve, and the guy hands me a locknut wrench. no way! i'm like, what is this, a drainpipe slipknot? wherever your business takes you, nobody keeps you on the road
9:59 pm
like progressive commercial auto. [ flo speaking japanese ] [ shouting in japanese ] we work wherever you work. now, that's progressive. call or click today. i wish my patients could see what i see. ♪ that over time, having high cholesterol and any of these risk factors can put them at increased risk for plaque buildup in their arteries. so it's even more important to lower their cholesterol, and that's why, when diet and exercise alone aren't enough, i prescribe crestor. in a clinical trial versus lipitor, crestor got more high-risk patients' bad cholesterol to a goal of under 100. [ female announcer ] crestor is not right for everyone. like people with liver disease or women who are nursing, pregnant or may become pregnant. tell your doctor about other medicines you're taking. call your doctor right away if you have muscle pain or weakness, feel unusually tired, have loss of appetite,

tv
Piers Morgan Tonight
CNN February 20, 2013 9:00pm-10:00pm PST

News/Business. (2013)

TOPIC FREQUENCY Us 12, Oscar Pistorius 9, Reeva 8, Adam Lanza 7, Piers 5, Google 4, Nancy Lanza 4, America 3, Adam 3, Reeva Steenkamp 3, Axiron 2, Orencia 2, Cnn 2, John 2, Sandy Phillips 2, Pistorius 2, Kim Martin 2, Biden 2, Larry Hagman 2, Bing 2
Network CNN
Duration 01:00:00
Scanned in San Francisco, CA, USA
Source Comcast Cable
Tuner Virtual Ch. 759 (CNN HD)
Video Codec mpeg2video
Audio Cocec ac3
Pixel width 1920
Pixel height 1080
Sponsor Internet Archive
Audio/Visual sound, color


disc Borrow a DVD of this show
info Stream Only
Uploaded by
TV Archive
on 2/21/2013
Views
76